Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Thinking about the near future

I'm really not doing very well in my program. I have failed a lot of tests and my work in the shop is very weak. A lot of people are telling me that I'm being to hard on myself and it's too soon to say, but my instructor is the final say on weather I pass or fail this course and he has been pretty closed lipped about how he feels about it. I am feeling very discouraged and all of the creativity is drained right out of me. The last thing I want to do these days is go down to the shop. All the apprentice classes are down there and take use of the welding machines for the full 6 hours of the school day. But even if a welder was available, I can't think of something I would like to make. The first thought that comes to my mind is "it would be a waste of good metal and I would just wreck anything I make." I start to think about what I will do if I fail... will I take it again? Do I WANT to take it again? Will I try to look for work anyway? Who would hire me if I fail? I wonder if I could find work in the city that my sister lives in as a failed first year steel fabricator?What if I pass? Will I move out once I find a job? Will I still travel? I have the funds set aside. That was the original plan when I started the course. But now things are different and I don't know if going away right after graduation is such a great idea. I might want to start working with the little knowledge I will take away from this course.
When I was little (maybe 3 or 4), my Mom took me ice skating for the first time. I thought that I would just go out on the ice and look like the figure skaters on tv right away. I stuck my leg out behind me and fell down on my butt. I gave up then and there. I am older now and have a very little bit of wisdom, but I am still like that. I think that I should be able to go out into a steel fab shop and be perfect right away. And if I'm not, I don't feel like doing it at all. I'm going to finish, but I'm not sure that it's what I want to do anymore. I want out of this funk and I don't want to be at square one again! There's a guy in my class who is 26 and he's had 6 false starts on a career. He has a lot of debt and he is kind of old looking and cranky for his age. I don't want that to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment