Thursday, October 22, 2009

I love metal. Why doesn't metal love me?

Metal is such an amazing material. You can do anything with it. Metal can be cut by breaking it, sawing through it, cutting through it with FIRE and PLASMA (cool, i know) and metal can be shaped by bending it or heating it up. Metal unfortunately had a bit of a mind of it's own. We watched a video at school which featured a mascot to illustrate points about distortion. The mascot's name is Mr. Shrink. He'd get in there and twist the metal in all sorts of ways. Metal in a lot of ways is very durable, but it is also fragile. If you bend or form it with it's grain direction (which means that when metal is formed at the forgery into sheets, the grain direction is the direction in which it was rolled out flat) it could break! It could just crack up.
Because metal is so versitile, there is a lot to know about it. Trying to digest all the knowledge being thrown at me daily is truely exhausting. I've been trying to go to the gym/get exercise of some sort regularily but by the time I get home these days, I'm way too tired. Maybe keeping up with the exercise will help with my exhaustion level, but I'm hurting mentally today and somehow that translates to the rest of my body.

1 comment: